It’s officially October which means one thing – Halloween is almost here! Even though it looks different this year, this Halloween can still be filled with festive fun and plenty of imagination. Radio Flyer, America’s trusted play expert, has come up with 10 safe ways to help families celebrate #HalloweenAtHome in accordance with the CDC’s guidelines. Please also reference your local guidelines.
1. Mini Backyard Carnival – Transform your backyard into a carnival with the help of your Radio Flyer wagon, the Official Wagon of Halloween®. Set up activity stations all around the yard. For example, you can use your wagon to bob for apples or as part of some other backyard games, as a dress-up station for costumes and festive props, or as a fun snack stand with carnival foods like popcorn & candy apples.
2. Drive-In Movie Night – For the perfect cozy at-home activity, put on your family’s favorite Halloween film and host your very own drive-in. This ultimate fall activity works great both inside in the family room or outside with a projector & screen. Use your wagon or Tesla Model S for Kids as a drive-in vehicle loaded with pillows, blankets, and all your essential movie snacks & drinks for an unforgettable night in.
3. Decorate Pumpkins – Pick up a few pumpkins on your next trip to the grocery store and enjoy this classic Halloween activity right at home. Help your little ones carve a silly face or creative design. You can also get crafty with materials like paint, stickers, and glitter – there are plenty of kid-friendly, no-carve ways to decorate your pumpkin, so feel free to use whatever you have around the house!
4. Halloween Scavenger Hunt – Enjoy all of your neighborhood’s decoration with a Halloween Scavenger Hunt. For your family’s next walk, make a list of Halloween-themed items to look for along the way or use our printable Halloween Scavenger Hunt sheet. Kids can keep an eye out for items like colored lights, Jack-o-Lanterns, and a Witch’s hat while they ride in style with the Official Wagon of Halloween®.
5. Deck Out Your Wagon – Did you know your wagon is the perfect vehicle for imagination? Use your Radio Flyer as inspiration for a creative family Halloween costume. Will your family become astronauts and blast-off to space in a wagon turned rocket? Is your family ready to join your own traveling circus? Want to dress as your favorite TV or movie characters with their signature set of wheels? Upgrade your costume by incorporating your wagon to deliver the wow factor this October.
6. Neighborhood Costume Parade – Once you’ve crafted the perfect wagon-inspired Halloween costume, coordinate with your neighbors to plan your own socially-distanced Halloween costume neighborhood parade. Families can take turns making their grand walk down the street to show off their costumes with everyone else staying in their yards and cheering each family along. Or, you can simply turn your family walk into a parade – put on your costume, pick out some fun Halloween music, let your neighbors know what time you’re headed out and wave to everyone in their windows as you walk by!
7. Festive Games – Host a series of Halloween-themed games in your home for a wicked good time. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Mystery Feel Box: We love this classic Halloween game. Fill containers, kitchen bowls, or shoe boxes with a variety of items to emulate different textures. Put a blindfold on your little one and have them reach into the box and guess what they are feeling. Let your imagination run wild – maybe cooked spaghetti noodles are really “brains” or carrot sticks are “witch’s fingers.”
- Mummy Wrap: All you need is a roll of toilet paper! Choose a family member to be a mummy and wrap them in toilet paper from head to toe. Snap a couple of silly pictures as there are sure to be plenty of laughs. For a fun twist, split your family into two teams and see who can wrap up their mummy fastest!
- Pumpkin Tic-Tac-Toe: Create a board out of tape or rope and play Tic-Tac-Toe using pumpkins as the markers. You can paint two sets of pumpkins different colors to differentiate. Little ones will love playing this favorite in a big new way.
8. Creative Crafts – Make some Halloween crafts to decorate the house with. We love these 2 adorable ideas:
- Popsicle Stick Spiderwebs: Combine popsicle sticks, paint, and yarn to create a spooky spiderweb craft. Paint your popsicle sticks the color of your choice (we recommend black, orange, purple, or white to stick to the Halloween theme). Once dry, glue the 3 sticks together in the middle so it looks like a snowflake. For the final touch, wrap some black or write yarn around the sticks, creating a web pattern.
- Toilet Paper Roll Bat: Use a toilet paper roll and black construction paper to create an adorable little bat. Wrap your roll in toilet paper and cut out some bat wings to attach. Add googly eyes for an extra touch!
9. Mix Up Some DIY Potions – Calling all Mad Scientists! Have a blast mixing up some mystical DIY “potions” right from your own kitchen. You can keep it simple by adding different food colorings to water to see what colors you can make, or with a parent’s help, use vinegar and baking soda to get your potion bubbling & fizzling. For extra fun, come up with some creative names for your potions like the Frankenstein Fizzle or Witches Brew.
10. Fall Photo Shoot – Instead of “Cheese!” have your little ones yelling “Boo!” during a festive fall photo shoot. You can stick to the season using pumpkins, leaves, and cozy flannel patterns as part of the scene, or add some Halloween-specific décor for a spook-tacular shot. Either way, your Radio Flyer wagon is a picture-perfect prop for your photoshoot.
How will you and your family celebrate Halloween this year? Show us by tagging @radioflyerinc or #radioflyer in your pictures on social media!